Carlo Scarpa attended the Accademia di Belle Arti in Venice where he began his professional career.
He dedicated himself to university lecturing which, in different posts, he continued until 1977. He made a name for himself after the second World War with prestigious productions, amongst which in Venice: the Paul Klee exhibition for the XXIV Biennial Exhibition, the Art Book Pavilion (1950), the Italy Pavilion at the XXVI Biennial Exhibition.
He started collaborating with Venini in 1932 and, acting as artistic director until 1946, he designed objects d’art and lamps. He has left an extremely important mark in both the designs of models and research into the most sophisticated techniques.
This is one of the most ancient techniques and dates back to the Roman Age. It was
reintroduced in Murano in the late 14th century. To obtain the Murrine a cane has to
be produced and then cut in small pieces, which normally have a particular drawing
inside. The Murrine are then melted together, following a precise design, and then blown
until the desired shape is obtained.